Bio in Brief
Black Leopard Clayware owner and award-winning sculptor Judith Enright began producing tile and pottery in 1993 and started her studio in San Jose, California, the following year. Her work can be found in local Bay area venues, and her commissioned sculptural works are in the homes of collectors from around the world. She is the author of Clay Speak: Terms, Tips & Techniques for the New Clay Artist.
In 1999, Judith began looking at ways her studio could enhance awareness in the ceramic arts through education. Her mission: To provide high-quality pottery courses with a focus on individual learning. She began teaching in 2001, with class sizes no larger than 4 students. BLC's pottery courses are available to artists with all levels of experience, and include wheel-throwing, handbuilding, sculpting, decorating, and glazing techniques.
In 2003, Judith brought a new show, Art Off The Ave, to the local Bay area's micro-festival scene. This annual Spring multi-media art show gives emerging artists the opportunity to show their finest work for the first time, while exhibiting alongside established artists. Customers get to hang out with the artists and their work in an intimate venue, and the artists get to show and talk about their art. The show welcomes all inquiries.
Judith regularly contributes to local community service clay projects and supports local art organizations. She resides with her husband, three dogs and a cat in San Jose, California.
Awards, Education & Professional Associations
- Sculpture category award, Best of California Artists & Artisans 2006
- Glaze Basics (Chic Lotz), Mendocino Art Center, 2008
- Surface Treatments (Potter's Council Conference), Mother Earth Clay Art Center, 2006
- Handbuilding Techniques (Vince Pitelka), Mendocino Art Center, 2004
- Sculpture (Adrienne Duncan), Pacific Art League, 2003
- Incised Cuerda Seca Techniques (Pat Wehrman), Orchard Valley Ceramic Arts Guild, 2002
- Thrown/Altered Forms (Ingrid Lilligren), Mendocino Art Center, 2001
- Pitfire Techniques (Mark Bugaski), Mendocino Art Center, 1996
- Working with Porcelain (Jim Danisch), Mendocino Art Center, 1996
- Tile-making (Kent Rothman), Mendocino Art Center, 1995
- Majolica Design (Walter Ostrom), Oregon School of Arts & Crafts, 1994
- University of Arizona, BA, 1978
- Member of the Potters Council; Orchard Valley Ceramic Arts Guild
Community Service & Special Projects
- April 2004 to Present: Board of Directors, Orchard Valley Ceramic Arts Guild (OVCAG) in Sunnyvale, California. Chairman of the Board from April 2004 to March 2007. This 501(c)3 nonprofit organization, founded in 2000, is dedicated to fostering a creative, innovative and supportive environment for the education of students, professionals and the public in the ceramic arts.
- April 2004-July 2005: President, OVCAG.
- September 2002-2003: Membership Chair, Webmaster, OVCAG.
- 2001-2006: Produced annual tile-making events for students and parents at the San Jose Parents' Participatory Nursery School in San Jose, California.
- December 1998 to September 2000: Director of the Advisory Board of Silicon Valley Visual Arts, Inc. This is a nonprofit organization which sponsors Silicon Valley Open Studios and other arts-based educational programs.
- 1996, 1997: Artist Donor to public television KTEH's 6th and 7th Annual Art Auctions.
- April 1995: Conceived the design, production, and installation of five separate tile murals at Hellyer Elementary School, San Jose, California, teaming up with the school's students and the International Community Services Foundation.
I think the creative act is about abandoning any sense of limitation and fully embracing who we really are. It's the place where magic happens!
Art Off The Ave Opens its Doors for Open Studios
- Willow Glen Resident news article 4/28/04
Best of California Artists 2006
- Judith won recognition in the Best of the Best category for sculpture, featuring a member of her Ultimate Urban Pet series, "Dahlia".
CLAY-SPEAK: Terms, Tips & Techniques for the New Clay Artist
- This spiral-bound booklet provides quick access to basic information every new and returning clay artist should know. Easy to read and chock full of tips, color photos and more! Available in print from Amazon.com, Clay Planet, and Black Leopard Clayware. Available in print and electronic download from Lulu.com.
Crafts Report October 2006
- In an article entitled How to Start a Guild, Judith discusses developing and nurturing a successful arts guild.
Gentry Magazine April 2005
- Current Talk features Black Leopard Clayware and Art Off The Avenue 5/2005
Gentry Magazine July 2005
- One-page feature about Orchard Valley Ceramic Arts Guild
Gold Medal Web Award of Excellence in 2006
- Art Space 2000 recognized Black Leopard Clayware's website for originality, overall design and appearance, ease of navigation, and content.
HGTV That's Clever!, January 2009
- Home & Garden Television network taped Judith making one of her Ultimate Urban Pets. Segment was premiered on January 21, 2009, Episode 411.
In Praise of Food: Poems and Poetry
- www.inmamaskitchen.com feature 12/2002
OVCAG Newsletter January 2007
- In this in-depth interview, Judith talks about her love affair with clay, and how she started Black Leopard Clayware.
Pottery Studio Celebrates Two Years
- Willow Glen Resident feature article 2/13/02
San Jose Mercury News article, February 2, 2008
- The San Jose Mercury News' Holly Hayes writes about Judith and her animal sculptures.
Galleries and Other Venues
- Ongoing - Allegro Art & Frame, Woodside, CA
Elva's Coffee Stop, San Jose, CA
- 2008 - Pence Gallery, group exhibition, Davis, CA
- 2008 - Saratoga Rotary Art Show, Saratoga, CA
- 2007 - 27th Italian Festa, San Jose, CA
- 2006 - Santa Cruz Mountain Vintners' Festival, CA
- 2006 - Hakone Gardens, Saratoga, CA
- 2004-2008 - Art Off The Ave (produced by BLC), San Jose, CA
- 2004-2007 - Art in Clay show, Palo Alto, CA
- 2004, 2006 - Mother Earth Gallery, Sunnyvale, CA
- 2003 - Menlo Park Library, Menlo Park, CA
- 2003 - Z'estate Salaudacious Gardens of Los Gatos, Los Gatos, CA
- 2002-2006 - Pacific Art League Gallery, Palo Alto, CA
- 2001-2003 - Silicon Valley Open Studios
- 1998, 2000 - Open Studios of South Bay Artists
- 1998 - Palo Alto Medical Clinic, public exhibition
- 1997 - Open Studios of Santa Clara County
- 1996 - Triton Museum, Santa Clara, CA
- 1995 - Tandem Computers Art Exhibition, Cupertino, CA